There are no upcoming shows for this artist.
Tim Horner began playing the drums at the age of ten. His influences rest primarily with musical parents. His introduction with music began by singing in the church choir at a very early age and by the 4th grade he began playing violin, viola, and drums in his public school music programs. This continued through high school while also joining The Roanoke Civic Orchestra and attending numerous summer music camps. Upon entering Berklee College of Music in 1974 he made drumming and the goal of being a professional jazz drummer his dream.
His first major professional work was with The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, which he joined in 1978. After a year on the road Tim returned to Boston leading his own bands, finishing his Bachelors Degree in Performance @ Berklee, recording and performing with many artists including Miroslav Vitous, John Scofield, Jack Wilkins, Buddy Defranco and Bob Mover.
In 1980 following his six years in Boston he moved to New York City and for 26 years has offered his experience, knowledge and skills as one of New York's in demand jazz drummers and has traveled extensively in the US, Europe, the Balkans, Asia, North and South America with some of the world's greatest jazz talents, performing concerts, clubs, recordings, teaching and master classes. Some of the artists he has worked with include: Warne Marsh, Hank Jones, Helen Merrill, Ernestine Anderson, George Mraz, Miroslav Vitous, Clifford Jordan, Pepper Adams, Richie Cole, Joe Locke, Ed Howard, Frank Kimbrough, Ted Nash, Ben Allison, The Jazz Composers Collective, Wynton Marsalis, The Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra, The Village Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, Mark Murphy, Joe Williams, Carol Sloane, Roseanna Vitro, Dena Derose, Sarah James, Bill Mays, Bob Kindred/Ann Phillips & The Jazz Nativity, The MaryAnn McSweeney Quintet, The Mike Fahn Band, Vic Juris, Dave Liebman, Billy Drewes, Dick Oatts, Corey Christiansen, The Stryker/Slagle Band, John Hart Trio, The Rufus Reid Quintet and Linear Surroundings, John Dimartino, Bill Gerheardt & Cotangent, Mark Sherman, Marc Mommaas, Alan Farnham, and Tomoko Ohno.
In 2004 Tim traveled through 5 Balkan countries in Eastern Europe, Turkey and Cyprus representing the U.S. State Department as a member of The Jazz Ambassadors, an ambassador of cultural exchange with the Roseanna Vitro Quartet.
For The past three years he has been a regular substitute with The Village Vanguard Jazz Orchestra @ NYs Village Vanguard as well as traveling to Europe and other local New York area venues.
Tim is a graduate of the Berklee College of Music in Boston Mass. and studied percussion with Dean Anderson, drums with Keith Copeland and drumming concepts with bassist Miroslav Vitous. His quintet, featuring vibraphonist Joe Locke and bassist Ed Howard, won the first Hennessey Jazz Search in 1985. He has conducted clinics, classes and seminars and currently teaches jazz ensembles and jazz drumming at New Jersey City University. Tim has an artist endorsement with Vic Firth Sticks and with Istanbul Cymbals and is currently working towards producing a recording of his own compositions which will be his first recording as a leader.
Projects recently released include CDs and/or DVDs with:
1. Vic Juris Quartet Live @ The Smithsonian / Mel Bay Records (DVD & CD)
2. Roseanna Vitro Roseanna Vitro & Trio featuring Kenny Werner Live from KC Jazz @ The Kennedy Center Washington DC / Challenge Records
3. Bill Gerhardt and Cotangent ( 2 CD's ) - SteepleChase Records
4. John Hart Trio plus Joe Locke Hep Records
5. Bob Schneider Sextet featuring Joe Locke Independent Label (recording Jan. 22 & 23 / 06)
6. The Mark Sherman Quintet 4 CDs between 2005 and 2008 featuring / Michael Brecker , Joe Lovano , Joe Magnarelli , The Quartet Live from Basel Switzerland ( recorded and released in 2008 ) . All 4 CDs are on Miles High Records.
7. The Rufus Reid Quintet Live @ The Kennedy Center released in 2007, this project is on Motama Records and is a CD/DVD box set.
In "2009" Tim will be on tour March with :
1. The Mark Sherman Quartet in Italy and Switzerland .
2. The end of March and beginning of April w/ Ted Nash & Odeon playing in Canada , Georgia and @ The Jazz Standard in NYC .
3. The end of May through June w/ vocalist Roseanna Vitro and the Jazz I Am Band for Jazz At Lincoln Center and the Rhythm Roads Program.
4. The Martin Wind Quartet on tour to Germany the last 2 weeks of Sept. featuring : Martin Wind - Bass / Scott Robinson - Tenor Sax and Coronet / Bill Cunliffe - Piano / Tim Horner - Drums .
5. Japan Tour in Oct. w/ The Bill Cunliffe Trio featuring James Moody .
6. November cruise w/ The Bill Mays Trio featuring pianist Bill Mays / bassist Martin Wind / drummer & percussionist Tim Horner .
Subbing regularly for John Riley with the Village Vanguard Orchestra as well as many other gigs and recordings around the NY area as well as teaching drum studies @ New Jersey City University . Tim is also working on his first recorded works of original compositions which will be recorded on Feb. 8th 2011.